Thursday, February 12, 2009

Berkeley High School Rugby Practice

I'm going to keep this post short because I need to stop blogging at around midnight and staying up until 2am. It's really not helping the olde job search. So I've been biking around 5-8 miles a day since Monday and its felt amazing. Biking has always been a release for me, I'm still riding the tiny green schwinn hybrid that I've had since Middle School (yea I'm short ok). I've clocked more miles on this baby then on my car and for me it's home. Gliding through traffic, laughing at the chumps stuck for hours in traffic, sprinting when I want to sprint or to avoid being hit...or just letting go, stretching my arms and flying. There's nothing like it! If you're hot just bike faster, sweat more, and let the wind cool you. Too cold? Just bike faster, warm up! Damn I love my bike.

Ehhhh oh right rugby.

So Berkeley High School has around 6-8 players. There are a number of competitive HS teams in the area to play...they just need numbers. If anyone has kids in the Berkeley school system...send 'em out for rugby. Duh. What else, we're practicing on this slip of a field and it's been wet as hell in the last couple of days. For me I'm just there to help out, add a body to practice, and be an extra set of eyes. So far I've been helping a new recruit get up to speed with passing and basic contact skills. I'm still getting used to the differences between working with college women and high school girls. I'm trying to watch my language and keep things upbeat. So far I've worked with JQ from the ABs (ex-cal hooker) and Amanda (dunno an ex-all blue flanker). Overall their skills aren't too shabby, I was pretty pleasantly surprised...their passing form and hands are about the same as a college recruit. Hitting things hard and at pace is the main thing they're struggling with. It's difficult when they don't really have more experienced teammates to look at for examples. I'm finding it kinda hard to help out because I don't really have my fundamentals nailed down myself (to the standards of say the ABs) so I'm not that confident running/spotting drills that I haven't really worked on myself. At least I've gotten to see some neat drills and practiced talking to high school kids again. It's tough because at that age everyone sounds like they're being condescending to them versus college kids are out of their element and willing to ask for help. *shrugs* I'll keep working on it till I get a job...they have a game coming up soon and only have a scrum half. Yup. So next week I'm supposed to help pick out and train a hooker with JQ and teach how to scrum with a tight five. How do you recruit at the high school level? Any suggestions please leave a comment at the beeeeeep.

So upcoming events....uh the b-side game UCSC vs Santa Clara got canceled because their fields were closed due to the rain (that I've been slogging through on my bike after rolling around in mud puddles). Feb 21st Cal men's team is play Univ. British Columbia at Witter Field in Berkeley. Normally I don't mention men's stuff (actually this might be the first time I've ever touched upon the fact that men play this game too) but it's going to be the first in a series of broadcast games on like...tv...on stations you don't have to pay up the ass for (ESPNU) so if you're in the area watch the match in person and then watch the time-delayed broadcast so (American) advertisers can give a shit about our sport. What else...Wed Feb 18 there's a rugby development meeting on treasure island 6-9 which I may try to go to...although it might mean missing the HS practice....hmm.

Alright that's it...the Stanford vs Cal game review gets pushed back even further. Balls oh well. Gnite.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey KLK. Thanks so much for coming across to my blog. I've linked back to you and you're on my favourites list now.

Very interested to know more about women's rugby in the states. Is it big there? How many people play?

(Also - can you get the Six Nations in the states? Did you see any other games?)
cheers
Ferdy