Saturday, November 17, 2007

Concussion!!!

I made it two tournaments without injury and whabbam...hello concussion. I was looking forward to resting this weekend SO much. Ahhhhhhhhhh. Well on the plus side we just played Stanford's B+ side and showed some bright spots but not a whole lot of team synergy. Eh...we were breaking in two completely new players and still had tons of rookies. We actually led the majority of the first half and they tied it just at the whistle. They notched up a cluster of scores early on in the 2nd half but we fought back a bit. Fitness was as always an issue against a D1 team and we ended the match with a try. Final score Stanford 27-22 UCSC. Not too shabby with a lot of players playing out of position (WILL I EVER HOOK AGAIN!?!?!?!?)...we dominated scrums in the first half and did pretty well there all day, our lineout was ridiculously solid and I'm really excited for our outside center Alyson ....something or other...I'm concussed what can I say. While Stanford was fielding mostlly b-side they did have some of their top players out there like their really amazing hooker who I'm too concussed to remember and Jossy Tseng (probably mispelled I'll edit this when the world stops spinning) and maybe somebody else. As always Stanford showed smart rugby, we managed to disrupt their precision and the were definitely weak in rucks (in the sense that they were always either poaching or setting up a picture perfect ruck and not necessarily driving...they were definitely winning rucks with speed and not power). They beat us around the outside a lot but that's to be expected...I made a nice break, assisted in a few tries, and nearly caught a few of their wingers. Saw Tina Neesburg there which was cool and talked to her a bit, come to think of it I probably sounded like a douche because I can' really think straight. Hence why I 'm stuck on campus with an inability to get home or really think of a better plan then waiting for my gf to get back from a field trip and take me home...we need to take care of our injured players better....any ideas on keeping injured teammates involved? Uhhh oh so is it official now that refs are playing longer advantage laws even if it isn't beneficial to the team with the supposed advantage? Just curious, I find it really weird cause the other team will commit an offense and retain the ball for two or three more phases before we'll go back to the penalty. This is the fourth or fifth reff that's done this, both in norcal and socal. I understand it's meant to free up the game but it's frustrating having to put in a number of tackles and rucks just to bring the ball back across half the field to where the penalty was originally ....originally...I can't think right now. Anyhoo hope everyone had a good saturday.

No comments: