Sunday, March 04, 2007

So Sunday...

was supposed to be a rugby day. But y'know what?! I finally experienced burnout and decided not to go to the Pelican's camp. Pelican's is the Northern California LAU select side team and a number of my mates and I were supposed to go. They went, I didn't, cause two games, three practices, a pr event, and a select side camp would be too much friggin rugby for me right now. I'm sore, sick, and behind in school and frankly I need to fix all three. SO I chose this weekend to rest up and have non-rugby thoughts.

In other words I've been drinking some water and playing a lot of Shadow of the Colossus. Amazing game...despite our small screen, the camera is unique, the AI is fairly bright, the gameplay fairly novel. My only issue is I got lost for three hours trying to find the sixth colossus.

But back to sports. Yesterday we had our Women in Sports day event and we had to go to accept a plaque for last year's season (DII National Collegiate Women's Champs....probably the highest sports award to go to our school...the slugs aren't well known for our athletics, education, or partying...but anyways). It ended up being a pretty awesome event, some of the speakers were cringe worthy agenda pushers but we had a few genuine ones that made the event worthwhile. Sissi was there and that was frickin inspirational, not only her story, but actually seeing how many young girls she affected in the pursuit of sports. A number of my teammates remembered being little girls lining up to talk to her after games (she played for the Cyberays from the WSA). One of our rookies was completely adorable as Sissi was her childhood hero. But anyhoo, there was also this great surgeon there....Dr. Allen or something, she was really passionate about her work and just an enthused individual. I dunno, it was just neat listening to two women who really made a career out of sports.

No comments: