Monday, March 19, 2007

News Flash....kind of

Radio Edit: So Goff just posted something about OU (a D1 team) barely beating out Western Oregon 27-24. Supposedly it was a frickin physical game...basically what I've been telling our silly lil' rookies to expect. Man...I'd better make sure my insurance is ready for the match 'cause I have a feeling that if our scrums don't tighten up I'll be coming off the field in a neck cast.

What else...in random rugby info...Humboldt's Old Growth RFC (a DIII club team) has some awesome shirt with "If you can't take a hit Lay off the Grass". It's amazing...and I don't even smoke.

Just wondering if anyone would like to respond on how they deal with low numbers and scrumming? I know DI teams don't have this problem, but are there any creative DII teams out there with solutions? Our locks needed real practice getting into position and driving (and we can't afford balls much less a scrum machine) so we practiced by having the front row facing the second row and them engaging between our legs (the hooker turning sideways so the locks bind on one another stayed tight). Today at practice the locks just went against our goal post with pads on. We're trying to schedule a scrumdown against our men's team but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. I hope I get some comments....

yeah boring post. Old news but in case you missed out...Chico's number 1! Woooo! Um what else...we're hosting PCRFU DII playoffs (women's only I think...but I could be wrong). Utah State and Western Oregon will be there (most likely, both their LAU sites could use a bit of updating). Santa Clara backed out of our game Friday night. All of us have to bust our asses over break to stay fit and mentally in rugby. April 6-7 are playoffs.

I HAVE A FINAL TODAY....ARGH.

Oh and my house embodies drama.

More rugby news when we have rugby news. Over and out.

1 comment:

Blondie said...

Make your strongest backs help you ... there's absolutely no reason the backs shouldn't be able to step in and help out with the forwards and vice/versa.

It helps them better understand the work involved and you get bodies to scrum against.

Or contact a senior women's team in your area ...