Sunday, January 07, 2007

UC Davis vs UCSC 27-22

Yesterday morning we played three thirty minute halves against UC Davis who ended the day victorious. Overall I was pretty thrilled by our performance against the Aggies as an out of shape D2 team shouldn't expect such an even scoreboard against a team so dominant at Scrum By the Sea (Davis did damn well against UCSD). Our lock Amara Reddick came back and had a great game. Our pack wasn't stellar and we did get an injury (one of our rookie locks broke/displaced her tibia). I propped for a third and a half and did a fair job. Our back row made great runs but our rucking was poor all over. Our backs rarely got the ball due to our poor platforms (we were losing our own scrums and lineouts) but this was mostly a result of rookies playing new positions. One of our vet wings, Tahli, scored two great individual tries and one of their backs pulled off an incredible pop kick to herself for a try. I ran in a few good carries myself but my favorite involved a quick tap pop that had me going into a Davis wall with the net outcome of me placing the ball well but losing my shorts in the subsequent ruck. Not only were my boxers already ripped to the point of loincloth but now they were flapping around my hips as I got to crawl back into the ruck to retrieve my shorts and put them back on not five feet from the sideline (and around 50 spectators). But good stuff, I love playing against Davis, they're a big fun competitive team that plays clean...what more can a DII team ask from our more organized DI sisters?

No comments: