Tuesday, February 03, 2009

UCSC WRFC vs Santa Clara Univ.

I caught a ride with one of our kid's dad's down to Santa Clara to watch our first league match of the season. While we can't take too much confidence from the final score of 55-0 it was nice to see our forwards rucking correctly. Over-committing of course but winning them, counter-rucking rather effectively as well. We occasionally won their lineouts and practically every scrum until it went uncontested in the last quarter of the match. Santa Clara has been a developing team for a while and it's looking like they're finally starting to get the numbers they need to consistently practice. A large number of their players were either completely new or playing out of position. Their scrumhalf was brand new and putting the ball into the scrum by bouncing it in on it's nose. They were often offsides on defense (multiple penalties for just running around rucks and picking up the ball) and played the ball on the ground but hey they're just teaching fundamentals. It doesn't sound like they had much of a preseason so I sent their vp some links and info about Berkeley's camps and some post-season events where they could get some additional game time to supplement our 4 team league. Our kids learned a lot from the game, with less pressure they got to build some confidence and for once had the gas to support each other. Our fullback Kathy scored a hat trick and our fly dotted down two. Tackling is coming along...we have two weeks before our next game...hopefully we can keep our skills sharp before locking horns with USF and Kathy Flores. It's weird, I'm going to watch USF vs Sac State this weekend and we'll see how they do. She's an amazing coach and I have no doubt that her players will be as technically sound as possible but it really is a litmus test for how much you can teach collegiate women in a quarter. I mean they're a brand new team and I think they might have only had one match or two during pre-season. Sac state will be chomping at the bit to take lead this year so I doubt we'll see any mercy and they are pretty damn battle hardened. They've been playing TOUGH matches all of pre-season with women's senior teams like the Davis Doubledeckers.

Oh and sac scouted our game and laughed as they left. We'll see...will the kids live up to our legacy of 6+ years of sweeping league? They have the potential...Heh. As dedicated as I am to UCSC I'm still working on the getting over it part. It's hard to de-attach, I've already had my four years. I put in my effort, won league for four years, won pac coast three years, made it to the semis 3 years, lost the big game, won the big game. Not too shabby, what's done is done, it's their team now. I know I've been repeating it like a mantra...but it's tough when a team has become so interwoven with your everyday life. Rugby isn't just something I do or like, it really has been a guiding force for me. Hence my move to the bay =p

Next up =========> I might actually start talking about the blues...except I can't because it's part of their player clause...so I don't know what I'll do about that. I probably will be going to the South Bay Women's club startup meeting to keep some friends company. And duh, info on the USF and sac state game.


Pics from Santa Clara:






No comments: