Friday, February 20, 2009

One practice down....a heck of a lot more to go!

This week has been crazy and it's not like I've gotten a WHOLE LOT accomplished but it's probably more then I've done in the last month so it's an improvement, all right? Just trust me...I mean heck I just installed a little hanging light doodad so I can finally SEE in my room at night! Holy crap it's amazing! Now onto rugby.

Tuesday: Was my first ABs practice and I'm not sure how my blog falls under their player policy. I think I read somewhere that you're not supposed to use their name without permission and such so I think I'm going to have to get things clarified before I proceed going into depth on the awesomeness that is their practices. I mean...super mondo gosh gee willikers awesome. I think it's ok going into the general stuff but if it gets cleared I think it'd be pretty nifty to post details on the sort of drills they do...cause they're obviously effective and surprisingly fun! Um but let's see...I've been biking a lot to try and build up my legs but I kinda pushed it the first day by trying to bike to the new Gilman turf fields. 6+ mile bike in the freezing rain before my first practice back from my hip injury = bad decision making on my part. I made it through warm-ups and about 3 drills before my legs were completely kaput. On the plus side I got to check out my hip mobility and strength with Laura Cabrera who gave me some cool tips + exercises and told me to check back in two weeks. It's neat because beyond the obvious (increased athleticism, focus, and skill level) each practice is planned with themes. Like instead of doing a drill just to practice a basic skill (passing) you're doing a drill that involves passing but is focused on developing field awareness. It's a given that you can pass now you're working on spacing, peripheral vision, and communication. Top two inches stuff. Oh I also had the obligatory rookie jackass moment where I managed to singlehandedly screw up a basic four corners drill. They run four corners with four balls and when they run to the center and pass to a direction they then run straight whereas I'm deeply ingrained to follow behind my pass. So besides not being used to focusing on four ballcarriers I also let nerves get the best of me and pretty much screwed up the drill about 6 times =p Oh well at least I learned my lesson and it reminded me that I have to really focus on instructions and the drill at hand. Everything is new and interesting and I think I have at least 3-5 lightbulb moments a practice.

Wednesday and Thursday I had practice with the Berkeley U-19 team (I didn't realize that they were an area team and not a HS team). Practices got a lot better, or at least I think I'm annoying the girls less. More recruits showed up so I think they have about 10 or 11 players which is pretty exciting. They have a game in about ten days that I think I'm missing because UCSC has a league game against St. Mary's. Ashley English led practice for the last two days and I worked with JQ to work on lineout throws with one of the girls. For the most part I just help move around the cones, snag balls, and do 1 on 1 stuff with rookies (basic passing, falling, knee tackling, and basic rucking/driving position).

Snagged a ride with Ashley to the ABs practice after that and because I didn't kill my legs on the bike ride (and perhaps due to the 3 x 10, 3 times a day lunges, heel touches and weird praying motions that I've been doing at LC's behest) I actually made it through the whole practice! Wooohoo! This practice seemed geared more towards communication, and I even did the contact drills. They were "soft" contact drills but with this group it's like being smashed by a very precise bullet train. I was definitely cautious going into contact but I was definitely getting rocked. It was pretty funny 'cause there was one part of a drill where you drove a partner about twenty meters while maintaining good form. I'm 220, I'm not the easiest thing to drive but Kelly Griffin (UCLA alum and socal griffins acclaim) was my partner and I literally flew! Let's just say I've never sprinted that fast in my life and there I was doing it in reverse. It was kinda like being hit by superwoman. Anyhoo I survived the practice with one knee to the forehead (I need to keep my head down when I'm placing the ball in a ruck) and a knock to the nose but bones intact! I'm still kinda working on learning all the different terminology that they use...I mean it may just be a D1 thing but grapes = inside passing or a vertical attack? Inside passing isn't the same as ours though...it just means popping to a runner off your hip not literally passing left right left right...uh or maybe and I'm just getting confused again. Anyhoo Amara was right. I am slow to react to changes in play, it's something to work on. Pass the ball to the hole, don't run to the hole with the ball. Stuff that is probably so obvious to other teams is all brilliant news to me. I'm also trying to get the hang of being able to imagine the boundaries when Coach is explaining a drill...bleh. I'll just have to keep trying =]

AND FIND A JOB!

It doesn't sound like anyone is driving down to the Champagne Classic but it may be a good thing. I'm pretty overcautious when it comes to injuries and it's served me well in the past (I've only re-injured myself once and it was for TAU playoffs) so for physical and financial reasons I may not end up attending the away matches (actually just make that a no). Which is a huge bummer because I've ALWAYS wanted to attend the Champagne Classic (and USA 7s) etc etc but oh well. There's always next year.

Oh in college news here is the pelicanrefs report on the Sac State vs St. Mary's game:



SAC STATE women 56 – St. Mary's 0 Referee: Bjorn Stumer
The final score of this match - Sac State Women 56 (29) - St. Mary's 0 pretty much sums up the one sided affair. The Sacramento ladies were just too fit, big, and skilled for a youthful St. Mary side which, to its credit, continued to soldier on throughout the match. The tries came in fast and furious in the first half, a number scored by Sacramento's sturdy but deceivingly fast No. 12, who appeared to cut through defenders at will. Five more tries were scored in the second half for a total of ten, three of which converted.

The only item of note is that, due to a number of collapsed scrums of unclear source, I called the scrums uncontested from the 16th minute of the second half.

As usual the ladies ruggers were polite, played in the spirit of the game, and refrained from the back talk that is frequent in the men's game. A wonderful dedicated pitch and a smallish but friendly crowd in attendance contributed to the good day.


There's another article floating around somewhere...and I added the link to Las Banditas because A)Jax is awesome B) Uhh Anna Richards is my biggest hero ever (so much so that if she asked me I'd switch to flyhalf...ahhaaaa) C)it's a funny cool site so check it out.

ABs vs SF Fog Prom Dress Rugby this weekend on Treasure Island. Go if you can. I won't be in a dress though. Ha.

UCSC will be playing USF this weekend at the most beautiful pitch on earth (or at least in NorCal). Of course I'll be there.

The pitch in heaven:

No comments: