Friday, October 03, 2008

Two Practices Down, A New Coach? and a Showdown on Treasure Island

The last two practices I've been working almost exclusively with the rookies. Doing the same old shit but things are running smoother (kinda). There's still about forty-five girls coming out. We'll see what this number inevitably shrinks to. Lots of talented rookies, and for the most part a good attitude and work rate. Everyone seems to be picking up the drills fairly well. I'm still suffering the ill effects of this cold but hopefully I'll be able to kick it. I got new running shoes for everyday life and they're a vast improvement to what I was wearing before. Apparently a woman showed up after Thursday's practice asking if she could help out coaching (people are saying that she's used to coach ORSU) obviously this would be a frickin amazing boon but the details are sketchy 'cause I wasn't there and I can't get any concrete answers about the incident from anyone. I'll definitely update as the details come in. Kickoff for tomorrows game is at 12:30 and I'm totally going to be their for the All Blue vs Minnesota Valkyrie game, it's at SFGG field. Sidenote, apparently there's a collegiate round robin oct 11 in sac I don't think we were invited but I'll try and post more details about it later. Yup that's it. Short but sweet.


Some quick **edits***. We'll see how much of a match this turns out to be...I did a little research in the morning and San Diego recently beat the Valks 31-26, a close match and the Surfers are no push-over team but yea...this is going to be against the All Blues. Also while the Valkyries traditionally hold a strong spot in the national seeding they kind of squandered their #3 seed last year by losing 17-7 against ORSU (a team that the All Blues beat last weekend). The Valkyries will be having a rematch against ORSU on Sunday while the ABs will play the Fog but I won't be able to catch those match ups. Hm apparently the Valkyries played the Twin City Amazons on the same day and won 19-12 which is a better sign. Did I mention I dislike the midwest's TAU site (I couldn't find a single mention of women's senior club rugby)? Granted I wasn't super searching but it should be easier then that. Also in the lead up to this match the Valks beat Chicago North Shore in an a-side match 53-0 (Chicago having some standout eagle 7s players like Pam Kosanke and Teena Mastrangelo). I checked the Valkyries official roster and it was kind of odd 'cause their website lists Barb Fugate as their coach while their cipped roster lists Martha Daines and Jane Tierney (also listed on their website) and their site seems rather up to date so I don't know the story behind that one. They have 26 rostered players like Kris Zdanczewicz (World Cup Standout flanker and duh fully capped Eagle) Christy Ringgenberg (current captain of the world cup bound Eagle 7s squad). There are probably more on the team but I'm just a little norcal journalist (*cough* *cough* more like starstruck fan) so I don't know the ins and outs of midwest rugby. Oh it should be noted that the Surfers participated in last years Sweet 16s (by beating belmont who in turn had taken the spot from Austin) and lost in the first round as well to the Atlanta Harlequins (the only D1 team in the south). Just for sake of comparison the ABs have 45 rostered active players. Alright that's enough number running for today.

No comments: