Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Scrum By the Sea 07

Wow these tournaments have really acted as pillars in the last four years of my life. It's crazy that this is my last year. Pass or fail out of college, either way it's on to real life. Saying that its a heavy feeling is an understatement.

Our backs captain just found out that she has a 200pg report to write for her internship on sustainable logging practices in Northern California....all I have to do is...well...not that much. So I just can't fall through the cracks...what would Prof. Thomas think of me...


Right well back to old age and rugby. I can't really tell you much about the tournament because we were in the social division and I was too lazy to try and find all the scores...or rather I was too busy juggling the 14 odd rookies we took down there (out of 19). Yea...it was definitely a weird experience being the only person in the 12 person van who remembered the old breed. We played surprisingly decent considering we had 1 years leading the team. I don't have a snot of leadership in me, a major weakness I know. But yea...the first day started with UGLY victories against Univ. of Arizona, Oxy, and UCLA B. None of our backs hit anything at full speed and had trouble realigning, our forwards had a lot to learn. I made two breakaways by running the right line...which was just weird being a hooker with 35-40m runs...wish I had the gas to finish them...*sigh* sprinting workouts for me. Got a little peeved the first day, but it was a necessary evil, we needed to train hookers so I was propping 4/5 of the games. On the second day we played U of A again and clicked more, and it was a lot cleaner. We scored about two tries in every match barring the last one against UCLA's A-side. PS while I always love this tournament I think it was kinda nuts to have the social division square off against the highest scoring teams in the serious division..just because almost every one of those games ended with an ambulance. Not that it couldn't have happened anyways but there is a huge difference going from playing fellow DII teams to UCLA's A-side which I'm not sure but supposedly was giving chico a hard time. Either way we held them to 3 points till the half when we made a few subs and our defensive line (which is all we were really doing) finally collapsed and they scored 3-4 tries on us. Eh. Overall a fun tournament and I'm kind of glad we won't be traveling that far again for a long while

No comments: