Monday, June 02, 2008

My face hurts

...and I'm procrastinating. We tied the game against the Fog which is damn good considering we were spread pretty thin and had to get creative in our positions. We showed the same weaknesses that we payed for in New Mexico (slow to the breakdowns, susceptible to stripping + poaching, poor support). *sigh* it was a fun match. I had to switch to prop fairly early in the first half and while Lenny was jumping we had their lineout beat. Jacuzzi went out with a separated shoulder, same ol' Natalie...just a lot of side to side, they had pretty good wings and better soft hands then we're used to playing. It's a shame, hopefully we'll (heh I mean UCSC...I'm alum now) be able to play them at decent strength in pre-season, I'm sure we could give 'em a tougher match. Oh...breakdowns went to hell with both sides killing the ball or conversely interfering with the competition...which made for a messy match.

I caught a fist to the eye (non-intentional), a couple lumps to the head, more damage to my hand, and some tiger stripes... not bad for a match against a club side.

Mmm afterwards it was quite fun talking to some of the Fog women. I got to shoot the shit with ruggers from all over from Chico to Pitzer it was neat. I guess they joined up with SLO last Champagne Classic and we talked about how fun those kids are. One of 'em had played for Belmont under Herb and Kiwis and playing abroad. I talked to them about playing after college and I think I've become attached to my rash decisions (like beating berkeley once at palo alto 7s). Another one of my kind of baseless plans is to move to Berkeley once I graduate spend the rest of the year as a tackle pad for them (just to pick up some stuff) and then maybe look towards moving to Davis. Or maybe I'll like Berkeley....

Gotta say though, this was a wakeup call...I forgot how much different club rugby is compared to DII collegiate rugby...hmm

oh and I can't remember for the life of me how I know their hooker...maybe it was palo alto 7s but I don't know how she'd know my name/recognize me.

Ahhh my last KC was nice. Was pretty cranky when I first arrived but I did have a massive headache from my cheekbone/orbital...but ended up being a nice function. Got a sweet women's springbok backpack in recognition of four long years =]

Gotta say the class of 04-08 kicked ass...we never lost a league game. Nuff bragging...there's so much more to be done in my rugby career! (er...including minor stuff like writing three papers this week so I pass my classes so I can ykno...graduate soon)

No comments: